You and your partner can actually be considered common-law partners for Canadian Immigration purposes. This is provided you can demonstrate (as listed below) and resided together for a year or more continuously. Short breaks in cohabitation are also acceptable for employment, travel and family obligations, provided they are temporary, and that you spend the vast majority of your time residing at your combined household.
When you apply as common-law partners, irrespective of your gender, you and your partner are awarded the same rights and freedom as a married couple when applying for Canada's immigration.
Also, you can be considered common-law if you are still married to another person provided you have irretrievably broken down the matrimonial relationship and have lived separately from your previous spouse for so long to establish a common-law relationship (in the space of 365 days).
  • Documents to provide in support of the status of your common-law:
  • Joint bank accounts and/or credit cards
  • Joint ownership of residential property
  • Joint residential leases
  • Joint rental receipts
  • Joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone)
  • Joint management of household expenditures
  • Evidence of joint purchases, especially for household items
  • Correspondence addressed to either or both parties at the same address
  • Important documents of both parties show the same address, e.g., identification documents, driver’s licenses, insurance policies
  • Shared responsibility for household management, household chores, etc.
  • Evidence of children of one or both partners residing with the couple
  • Telephone calls/records